Scribbit, one of Mamanista’s favorite bloggers, listed her top diet treats, and that got me thinking. Here are my favorite diet treats that don’t taste like diet food:
- Dove Ice Cream Miniatures Yes…I know ice cream isn’t a diet food. Some people have that iron will to withstand the temptation or to convince themselves that sugar-free frozen yogurt is as good as traditional ice cream. For the rest of us, there’s Dove Miniatures. Rather than grabbing a pint of Ben & Jerrys and gorging, I reach for these delicious Dove Ice Cream Minis. Each miniatures is just 60 calories, so I don’t feel guilty indulging my sweet tooth.
- Ready Pac Santa Fe Chicken Salad This 320 calorie salad is a filling lunch, but you won’t feel deprived. It is topped with chipotle chicken, sweet yellow corn, crunchy mini tortilla strips, a four cheese blend and zesty salsa ranch dressing. It tastes really good, but there’s a catch. Since this salad is high in fat and sodium, it will not work for you if you are on a low-fat diet or a low-sodium diet. However, if you are on a traditional diet and just trying to stay within your recommended daily calories, this is a good meal option if you need something fast and on-the-go.
- Apple Slices and Laughing Cow Light Cheese I can’t take credit for this snack idea since I found it on Hungry-Girl.com, which is a great diet resource. This snack is one of my absolute favorites, and it’s low calories. You can have 1 medium apple and 1 wedge of yummy cheese for just 100 calories! And the cheese doesn’t taste like low calorie cheese. Now that I’m pregnant, I reach for Laughing Cow Light Cheese wedges when I find myself craving something really fatty like nacho cheese dip.
- Pomegranates are high in vitamin C, potassium and fiber. I reach for a pomegranate when I’m full of nervous energy. Extracting all the seeds from the pomegranate takes about 10 minutes and stops me from eating a bunch of potato chips just because I’m feeling fidgety.
- Banana ice I found this idea at kidshealth.org. Yummy! This is perfect is you are hungry after a workout.
- Dryer’s Orange and Cream Fruit Bars and Edy’s Orange and Cream Fruit Bars These 80 calorie bars remind me of the creamsicles I used to purchase from ice cream trucks when I was younger.
For more diet advice, check out Mamanista’s Review of eDiets.