Mamanista! » Advice, Books (Advice), Contests, Eco-Friendly, Organic, Tips » Growing Up Green

Growing Up Green

Growing Up Green Growing Up Green: Baby and Child Care, by Dierdre Imus, is the second in a series from this Green Guru.

Guiding people towards a healthier and more eco-friendly lifestyle is more than a job for Imus, it is a calling. Her passion shines in each passage of the book.

Imus takes the reader from birth through schooling, discussing the perils of reckless consumption for the body, mind, soul, and planet. Every chapter is packed full of studies, statistics, and suggestions, presented in a clear and readable style.

The fervor can be both inspiring and overwhelming. The catalog of horrors is a wake-up call to how we are poisoning the environment and the effects it can have on our children. Detailed information follows about what we can do, in our own homes, to reduce this impact. Given the depth of the book, I would have enjoyed an index. However, there are several useful appendices of resources.

Everything is viewed through the lens of the toxicity levels in our environment. The equation of genetics and environment is complex, and I am wary about blanket declarations as to exactly how much blame can be assigned to environmental pollution and the burden that places on parents–especially those who have children who are ill.

When discussing breastfeeding, a lot of weight is given to the idea that toxins in the mother’s body could be harmful to the baby. While this is certainly something worth exploring, even the quoted experts still seem to come down on the side of breastfeeding when possible for mom. Imus also advocates avoiding all fish (not just the species with the highest levels of mercury) and dairy at all times. These are moments when she seems to toss out the baby with the polluted bathwater.

Most of the time, however, Imus recognizes the balance ordinary parents must achieve with their limited resources. She includes a list of the worst pesticide offenders so you can prioritize your organic purchases if a 100% solution is not possible. Tips for speaking with pediatricians and an alternative schedule for vaccinations is suggested so parents can weigh their options. You’ll also find plenty of safe and effective homemade household cleansers, pampering pick-me ups, delicious recipes, and homeopathic remedies to keep your family healthy.

I especially enjoyed her final chapter, which highlights changes you can work on outside the home. Community efforts to clean up the natural environment, schools, and public buildings can go a long way towards building civic pride and promoting health.

WANT IT: Purchase Growing Up Green: Baby and Child Care: Volume 2 in the Bestselling Green This! Series (List $15.95; $10.85 on Amazon).

WIN IT:

1. Click HERE and check out the introduction of Growing Up Green: Baby and Child Care: Volume 2 in the Bestselling Green This! Series
  2. Leave us a comment about which tips and ideas from the book you need the most.

Ends 8pm EST on April 18, 2008. Open to US and Canada mailing addresses.

We have two more copies up for grabs. If you want more chances to win, click HERE to find out how to enter.

Filed under: Advice, Books (Advice), Contests, Eco-Friendly, Organic, Tips · Tags: , , ,

85 Responses to "Growing Up Green"

1. Helen Vassilakis says:

I am currently pregnant for my 1st child and I would like to learn about all the ways that I can teach my child to live green. I recycle but know that I can do more.

2. Carissa says:

I would like to know which plastic bottles and toys are least toxic and how to lobby for safer school environments and support children’s environmental health studies.

3. Elizabeth M. says:

I’d like to know which plastic toys are least toxic.

4. K. Cleaver says:

I would like to know more about choosing safe cleaning products.

5. Jennifer Kenney says:

I think the whole book would be very useful..especially the vaccinations and toys parts. Thanks!

6. shawna says:

I would like to learn more about safe cleaning!

7. Aimee says:

While we’ve focused greatly on our home environment and consumpion issues, I am most desiring to learn more about “which plastic bottles and toys are least toxic” (especially with a new baby in the house) as well as hearing the “Advice from leading “green” pediatricians and nationally recognized doctors such as Mehmet C. Oz, M.D” The book sounds great!

8. Christina Almond says:

I’d love more information about the various toxins in toys! So far as vaccines…I know it is controversial but my son is 9 years old and NEVER had a vaccine and is as healthy and healthier than any other kid his age!

9. Brooke says:

I’d like more information about how to live with minimal household toxins – not just toys, but food storage.

10. kathy pease says:

PLEASE ENTER ME :)

11. Stacy says:

I need this book so that I really think about everything I am exposing my baby to. I spent the money on Born Free bottles but didn’t even think about all the chemicals in his shampoo and soap. There are so many things to think about.

12. kathleen Yohanna says:

I would like to know if all the plastic containers we are using are harming our children.

13. Susanne Troop says:

Safe cleaning is very important to me!

14. Veronica Garrett says:

Tips on cleaning my house with less toxic chemicals and lessing my family’s exposure to toxins in plastic household goods and toys.

15. ~ Aliesa ~ says:

~ I’m most interested in vacine information ~

16. Janet says:

How to make sure your child is vaccinated safely” section sounds interesting!

17. * * HeLeN * * says:

** I’m interested in “Advice from leading “green” pediatricians and nationally recognized doctors such as Mehmet Oz,M.D” **

18. jen g. says:

I’m on the cusp of the seemingly endless rounds of vaccinations with my newborn! I need/want all the info on this issues I can get!

19. Ed Nemmers says:

Toxin information

20. ~ * MiC * ~ says:

** Safe cleaning is very important! **

21. Lily Kwan says:

I need tips on how to clean without harmful chemicals.

22. The info about vaccines is topical.

23. Becka says:

I just finished the book. Great, easy to understnd practicle information throughout.

The vaccine chapter is extremely helpful. Common sense info. Moms need to hear more about this and are not getting it. Glad someone put this out there.

Must read!!

24. […] winner of the Growing Up Green Contest on Mamanista is Aliesa, who commented: I’m most interested in vaccine […]

25. Now position the dumbbell over your head ensuring there is a slight bend in your arms to circumvent locking. From here slowly lower the dumbbell behind the head until your elbows are just past 90 degrees.

26. Gute Site! Der Post ist gut geschrieben. Danke dafuer.

27. Cary Artist says:

I really like and also appreciate your own article. Much many thanks once again. Really cool.

28. I usually do not even recognize how I wound up here, but My partner and i thought this particular post ended up being great. I don’t know who you’re but definitely you’re going to a well-known blogger in case you aren’t by now Cheers!

29. Of course, what a splendid blog and revealing posts, I will bookmark your site.Have an awsome day!

30. ankara seo says:

Very good web sitesankara seo admins. thanks