Our recent trip to the Disney Studios in Hollywood, CA brought more fun and magic than I could cram in to one post. So, here’s part two of our exciting adventure, filled with the latest Disney Fairies have to offer!
After screening Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue (available for Pre-order with a release date of September 21) the day before and flying high off the wonderful facts and tidbits the creators and animators shared with us, I (foolishly) thought “there’s no way they can top this.”
I was absolutely, totally, wrong.
Folks, we took a trip to the magical land of Pixie Hollow.
Based on the land where Tinker Bell and all of her fairy friends live, Pixie Hollow is an online game where kids can experience life as a real fairy.
Anyone who has ever dreamed of flying high over beautiful landscapes, dressed in ethereal clothes with glittering wings will absolutely love the full-fledged experience of Pixie Hollow.
- Create up to three female fairies or male Sparrow Men. You can even choose their hair, eye colors, clothes and wing styles.
- Play magical talent games like helping fish swim upstream, sort tinker parts into baskets, or bring light to fireflies, where you can win things like berries, honeycombs and more to use in various shops around Pixie Hollow. These winnings can be traded for items like clothes, furniture, pets and more.
- Complete fairy tasks to help Tink and all of her friends through various adventures.
- Read all the happenings in the Never News, a clever newsletter updated twice a week where you can head to picnics, balls and other events.
- Meet other fairies and chat with them as they fly all around on different quests, just like you.
- You can even download the game for Nintendo DS.
Now I’ll be honest, the only thing that worried me was the chat option. Wouldn’t this be a dangerous place for children to go, where anyone can make a fairy and talk to them? Here’s what sets Disney’s game apart:
- Your fairy or sparrow name must come from the provided list of first, middle and last names on your welcome screen. You cannot use your own name. For example, you’ll end up with a fairy name like Luna Silver Cloud.
- The “speed chat” option is given to basic members. Speed chat is when phrases are provided for you to use in chatting such as “How do I get to Dewdrop Vale?” No matter what letter you press, a phrase will be provided to match.
- Full chat is an option for paid members. Even this option is controlled. Whenever you type a name that is not approved, it will show up in red. For example, “How do I get to Dewdrop Vale, dummy?” will automatically freeze your typing and disable your ability to send the message until you erase the red word that is not approved.
- With all of the rules and regulations, there are occasions where slips can happen. If a member attempts to use inappropriate and/or unapproved language repeatedly, their accounts will automatically be deleted.
Here’s what I thought was genius about this entire operation. They literally thought of everything imaginable to keep children entertained, but it pulls adults into its web of magic just as forcefully.
Hello, my name is Liza, and I have a fairy at Pixie Hollow.
Stay tuned for my final post on our wonderful trip to Disney, in celebration of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast Diamond Edition.
Disclosure: Disney Home Entertainment paid for my travel expenses to this event along with a one month membership to Pixie Hollow.