How are you celebrating Earth Day with your family?
Young children are natural eco-warriors. They love the outdoors and creatures great and small. My kids are always dragging me outside to play and explore.
And I love that environmentally-friendly options are usually money-saving options, too. When we reduce, reuse, and recycle, we save both kinds of green.
Here are a few ideas for celebrating Earth Day with your kiddos:
- Toss the toxic products in your make-up bag and cabinet.
- Plant your own vegetable garden.
- Plant a garden that attracts butterflies or hummingbirds.
- Visit local farms to learn about food production and support your community agriculture.
- Participate in a park or beach clean-up to beautify your neighborhood and help the planet.
- Collect recyclables and use the proceeds to plant a tree.
- Enjoy the great outdoors (check out my post on 6 Free iPhone Apps to Learn Outdoors).
- Teach children to turn off lights and water when these resources are not in use.
- Pledge to ditch the disposables and utilize reusables.
- Look for ways to upcycle (we use jam jars as water glasses).
- Buy in bulk to use less packaging and then put healthy snacks into reusable containers.
Healthy children and a healthy world are all interconnected. Learning about the food chain results in healthier eating choices, which strengthens local agriculture and the economy. Reusing reduces waste and saves money, too. Turning to organic options is healthier for the planet, the animals, and our families.
Look for small steps you can sustain. Make a more eco-friendly, healthy decision that fits with your lifestyle every month. Remember, once is chance, twice is a coincidence, and three times is a pattern. If you can repeat your healthier choice throughout the month, it will become a lasting habit. Then add a new step. Before you know it, you are on your way.
Sponsored message: Did you know that you can save 7,000 gallons of water per year by converting from a conventional washer to a Frigidaire Affinity ENERGY STAR® qualified model? That’s enough water to take 3,000 showers every year! Frigidaire wants you to celebrate Earth Month and take their Eco-Friendly Options Poll on their Facebook page and enter for a chance to win. The poll includes fun questions like, “Would you prefer to use energy-saving bulbs or candlelight?” Each week, they’re giving away a different eco-friendly Frigidaire appliance.