Mamanista! » Charity, Featured, Women's Issues » Will You Help End the Cycle of Violence?

Will You Help End the Cycle of Violence?

Are you a Brave Woman?

One in four women experience domestic violence (intimate partner violence) at some point in their lives. These women need all their courage to find a way out.

People often wonder why victims of domestic violence don’t just leave. They do not realize that it takes a special brand of courage to believe in yourself after the person you think you love has told you that you are worthless. Someone has made you feel isolated and invisible.

Long after the bruises heal, the emotional damage saps your confidence.

And even many years later it is difficult to talk about it because someone’s feelings might be hurt. Because you are too smart to have done something that stupid. Because you are too scared to say something.

That’s what abusive people count on. They count on our silence.

As a community, we can stand up and say, “No More Violence.” No more violence against women, against children, against people we are supposed to love. Can you imagine a world without violence?

We can support these sisters of ours by letting them know that someone notices them, someone cares, someone believes in them. Just let her know you are there…if she wants to talk. Most likely she will not take you up on your offer but you have at least planted the seeds: I see you. You are there. You matter to me. You have friends who care.

Even better, stop the violence before it happens. Make sure you are modeling healthy relationships for your children. Talk to your preteens about intimate partner violence before they even ask if they can start dating. Don’t wait. Do it now before someone else sets their expectations and understandings of a relationship.

Will you stand up with me? Will you pledge to be brave and to help others be brave in 2012?

I am going to silence those voices inside my head that say that I do not matter. I am going to live my dreams. I am going to write from the heart.

If I see something, I am not going to turn away in embarrassment. Because there is no shame in telling a friend that she is brave and strong.

And I am going to make sure not just my daughter but my sons as well understand that we treat other people with respect and kindness.

You can take the Brave Woman pledge and make your voice counted among those who stand up to violence:

I pledge to honor and respect brave women and children who tackle the difficult journey of change from domestic violence to a new life. I acknowledge my own moment-by-moment bravery, will remain aware of what is happening to others around me, and speak up against violence in any form. I will stand up for human dignity and safety for women and children.

You can also show your support on twitter @Brave_Woman and on their Facebook page. You never know who might gain courage from seeing that retweet or Facebook post.

Disclosure: This post has been compensated as part of a social cause opportunity for CollectiveBias #CBias #BraveWoman. All opinions are my own.

Filed under: Charity, Featured, Women's Issues · Tags:

18 Responses to "Will You Help End the Cycle of Violence?"

1. This is such a well-written post, Candace. I love that you pointed out that often women do not discuss this because they think it might lower other people’s opinions of them because they are “too smart to have done something that stupid.” Yet, nobody can foresee the future and way more often than not abusers are terrific at manipulating or at hiding their intentions until the relationship is in progress. It is such an important and valid point. Thank you.

2. Thanks for helping to end the silence. It really is a life of isolation, just like you described.

3. Mimi says:

I pledge, that’s for sure! My oldest daughter volunteers at some women’s transition homes and she sees first hand the evidence of abuse. Thank you for sharing about this!

4. Amy says:

I took the pledge. I’m so glad you’re using your voice to help!

5. Terri says:

You are so right!
    “That’s what abusive people count on. They count on our silence.”
    Thank you for speaking out on this important issue! May your words inspire bravery and action!

6. melissa says:

I took the pledge. Thanks for sharing.

7. I do not leave a great deal of responses, however after browsing a few of the comments on this page Will You Help End the Cycle of Violence? | Mamanista!. I do have a couple of questions for you if it’s allright. Is it simply me or does it appear like a few of these responses come across like they are coming from brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing at additional places, I would like to follow everything new you have to post. Could you make a list of every one of your social networking sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

8. I’ve learn some excellent stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot effort you put to make any such magnificent informative web site.

9. futon bunk says:

I will immediately seize your rss as I can’t in finding your email subscription link or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please permit me recognise in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

10. click here says:

I want to show my appreciation for your generosity giving support to all those that should have help with this important idea. Your very own dedication to passing the solution around appears to be unbelievably advantageous and have permitted others just like me to get to their aims. Your own useful key points denotes this much to me and especially to my office colleagues. Many thanks; from all of us.

11. Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Extremely helpful info particularly the last part :) I care for such info a lot. I was looking for this certain information for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

12. […] Will You Help End the Cycle of Violence? ( […]

13. tas premium says:

I beloved up to you will receive performed proper here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. however, you command get bought an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further until now again as exactly the same just about very steadily inside case you defend this increase.

14. Willis Bulle says:

Thanks for the strategies you write about through this web site. In addition, several young women who become pregnant never even aim to get health insurance coverage because they are concerned they wouldn’t qualify. Although some states now require that insurers produce coverage in spite of the pre-existing conditions. Fees on these kind of guaranteed programs are usually larger, but when considering the high cost of medical care bills it may be your safer way to go to protect your current financial potential.

15. ihunterb says:

get over here to know Maureen Finucane and Pastel artist.

16. James says:

#1 new file sharing site.

17. I really like reading an article that will make people think.

Also, many thanks for permitting me to comment!

18. It’s awesome in favor of me to have a website, which is valuable in support
    of my know-how. thanks admin