Providing healthy lunches and snacks for my boys is very important to me. Now that my oldest son is in kindergarten, I try to pack lunches with a balance of nutritional foods to help him grow strong.
I like that organizations like Produce for Kids are teaming up with one of my local grocery stores, ACME Markets, to encourage parents to choose healthy snacks and to support the non-profit DonorsChoose.org
ABOUT DONORS CHOOSE:
DonorsChoose.org is an online charity aimed at helping public and charter schoolteachers across America obtain the supplies needed for their classrooms. To date, 152,000 public and charter school teachers have used DonorsChoose.org to secure $187 million in books, art supplies, technology and other resources to enhance student learning. All money raised during the Healthy Families, Helping Kids campaign will be used to match donations to health and nutrition-based classroom projects in ACME’s local communities.
Here a couple more things I learned about the Healthy Families, Helping Kids campaign.
- The campaign supports local health and nutrition-based classroom projects in the ACME market area through DonorsChoose.org. However, once the campaign to raise funds wraps in October, the Healthy Kids section stocked with participating fruit and vegetable sponsored products will remain until October 2014.
- In-store signage for the Healthy Kids section will feature Chef Chica from the popular Sprout® original series, The ChicaShow. Signage will also direct shoppers to the new www.produceforkids.com, featuring Ideal Meals recipes, tips and solutions to help shoppers keep their families healthy.
- When shoppers purchase participating fresh fruits and vegetables from ACME Markets from October 4 to October 31, they will be helping to make a donation to support local health and nutrition-based classroom projects through DonorsChoose.org. Participating ACME Markets produce suppliers will make a sales-based donation; the more produce a family buys, the more help they can give to local classrooms.
- Teachers in ACME’s market are encouraged upload their health and nutrition-based classroom projects as early as October 4 to DonorsChoose.org to receive funding from the Healthy Families, Helping Kids campaign. Produce for Kids will be enlisting the help of the public to match donations to all projects that meet these requirements.
- For more information on teacher eligibility, please visit http://www.donorschoose.org/
During the campaign time period, popular Sprout characters will interact with kids at a Produce for Kids in-store appearance on September 28 at the ACME located at 100 Suburban Dr., Newark, DE.
For more information, please visit www.produceforkids.com/ACME.
Look out for sweepstakes and giveaways on the Produce for Kids Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages throughout the campaign. Sponsored products for each supermarket can be found on display materials in the grocery stores’ fresh produce departments and online at www.produceforkids.com.