November 4th, 2013 | 2 Comments
Time to celebrate shopping local! As mentioned in more than one of my previous posts, the Amercian Specialty Toy Retailing Association (ASTRA) is near and dear to my heart and I love supporting their annual event called Neighborhood Toy Store Day which occurs this year on Saturday, November 9, 2013.
I received several quality toys to highlight in honor of the excellent selection small toy retailers offer the public through a careful blend of educational and entertaining toys for children. Supporting local toy stores encourages economic stability in the local economy, fosters community development, encourages hands-on committed customer service and supports vibrant town centers where consumers know the store owners and vica versa.
Two of the toys I received are the following:
1. PLAYMOBIL Cargo and Passenger Aircraft: ($109.99 MSRP) Girls and boys both love rolling airplane toys and my boys are no exception. Five figures accompany this plane which even has a play sink and toilet inside, a cargo container and even an air traffic control tower with equipment and other accessories. Hours of fun!
2. Green Toys Seaplane: ($19.99 MSRP) My youngest is the perfect age for the Green Toys Seaplane which flies through the air of our house (via my son holding it) and into the bathtub where it floats around as he plays. This toy is made from 100% recycled plastic milk jugs which makes Mama happy and contains no BPS, phthalates, PVC or external coatings. It is also packaged in recycled materials and printed in soy inks. My son only knows how fun the toy is,but I know how awesome everything about it is. That’s the kind of toy I can believe in!
DON’T FORGET: Through November 8, 2013, log onto www.yourneighborhoodtoystore.org to enter to win the following sweepstakes:
A Grand Prize Vacation Package! Thomas & Friends™ invites you on the family vacation of a lifetime at select all inclusive Hard Rock Hotels in Mexico and the Dominican Republic.
Featured Prizes! Six individual winners will be selected to win one of the following featured prizes:
- One gift basket of Kidoozie products from International Playthings valued at $250
- One gift basket of Calico Critter products from International Playthings valued at $250
- One gift basket of earlyears products from International Playthings valued at $250
- Gift certificates for Playmobil products. Two winners will receive a $250 Playmobil gift certificate each to be redeemed at an ASTRA-affiliated retailer
- One gift basket of assorted Best Toys for Kids winning product from ASTRA valued at $250
To check out the full list of this year’s winners and find a local toy store near you, visit YourNeighborhoodToyStore.org
Disclosure: I was a part of the team that helped ASTRA create Neighborhood Toy Store Day in 2010, and I have worked with them as a consultant since 2009. However, my opinions are not influenced by my work with ASTRA. I’ve donated numerous hours to shop local campaigns after seeing the importance of local business while serving on the School Board and Park & Recreation Boards in my township.
Written by Debbie
Debbie Bookstaber started Mamanista in 2007 with her friend Candace Lindemann. Debbie and Candace also are the co-founders of Bloganthropy.org, which empowers bloggers to become philanthropic leaders in their communities. Through their annual awards, Bloganthropy.org recognizes bloggers who effectively use social media for social good. Debbie lives in the Philadelphia suburbs with her husband and two young sons. She's an active volunteer in her community and a working mom. Debbie is a partner at Element Associates and the Social Media Director at Child's Play Communications. You can follow Debbie on Twitter @buzzmommy or meet her at a future blogging or tech conference, where she frequently speaks about social good efforts, SEO or affiliate marketing.
Browse Our Reviews
Any factual claims, including but not limited to safety testing, are based on information from the manufacturer.
Mamanista.com receives sample products for testing. Paid placements, such as announcements of sales or sponsored contests are clearly marked.
© 2015 Mamanista!