Playards are fantastic, portable, safe spots for tots, but when you are traveling by plane with your precious bundle you may want something even lighter weight.
We love this tent because it sets up in a snap and is great for the outdoors, too. The mesh panels protect against insects and sun. Just take it out of its carrying case and slip off the strap–just be careful because they aren’t kidding when they say it pops right open! (Mama Luxe got clocked in the chin the first time.) Then you use the included pump to blow up a mini air mattress and slip that into a pocket in the tent.
Open Dimensions: 48″L x 30″W x 18″H; Folds to: 14″L x 5″W x 14″H
- KidCo PeaPod Indoor/Outdoor Travel Bed – Red from BabyUniverse: $49.99
- KidCo PeaPod Indoor/Outdoor Travel Bed – Teal from BabyUniverse: $69.99
- PeaPod Indoor/Outdoor Travel Bed by KidCo from Dreamtime Baby: $49.94
- Peapod Portable Travel Bed from Target: $49.99
For older kids, the PeaPod Plus Travel Bed (pictured) has open dimensions of 52.5L x 34W x 25H in. and folds into a storage bag that is just 19L x 6.5W x 19H in.
- KidCo PeaPod Plus Travel Bed, available from BabyAge for $79.99
- KidCo PeaPod Plus Travel Bed, available from BabyCenter for $94.95.
Some other compact alternatives for younger infants include these small portable mattresses with bumpers:
Traveler Series Baby Travel Bed ($89.99 from eBags). Open: 30.5″ x 17.5″ x 9″; Folds to: 17.25″ x 14.75″ x 5.5″
Eddie Bauer Infant Travel Bed ($29.99 from Target) Open: 30″ x 19″ x 8″; Folds to 15.5″ x 14.75″ x 4.5″