Mamanista! » Car Seat, Featured » We Had a Car Accident Last Night

We Had a Car Accident Last Night

honda1Last night I was driving home from a friend’s birthday in Brooklyn, with my husband in the passenger seat and my two children in the second row of seats, strapped into their Britax Car Seats (a Boulevard CS and a Frontier).

Without going into details, let’s just say the accident was bad. Really bad.

But our Honda Odyssey and our Britax car seats did their jobs.  My entire family walked away from the accident.

This is not the type of post I usually share on here but I wanted you to know about the crash.

Even before I started working with Britax on reviews, I did my research and chose them for my daughter’s first convertible toddler car seat.  Since then, I’ve spoken with Dr. Jana, a pediatric safety consultant about her work with Britax and child car safety.  And my 14 month-old, 25 lbs. son was rear-facing during the accident.

I will never know what combination of fate and machinery prevented last night from being much, much worse, but, as my husband said, “We’re impressed with the safety features.”

We’re sticking with the formula.  We’ll be on the look-out for a good used Honda and buying two, new Britax car seats.

Filed under: Car Seat, Featured

23 Responses to "We Had a Car Accident Last Night"

1. Janelle says:

Glad that you walked away and hope everyone is OK? We also use Britax car seats. Take care!

2. susan says:

I’m so glad to hear that you are all alright physically and I appreciate you sharing about your experience. We have Britax car seats and I’ve only heard good things about them. Take care of yourselves.

3. Lisa says:

Wow, I’m so glad you and your family are ok! I also have a Britax carseat and am so glad that’s the brand I picked. It was almost $300 and my husband complained when we got it but I insisted since safety is the top priority! I think this Thanksgiving you guys will be extra thankful!

4. Candace says:

Thank you! Yes, everyone doing fine. I am a bit sore/bruised/shaken but the kids are 100% fine and so is my husband. We are just so grateful that all the people involved will be okay!

5. Thank God you all are okay! I hope you are able to find a new car easily and quickly. :)

6. Heather says:

Oh my gosh! I’m so glad everyone is okay. Take care of yourselves!

7. Becca says:

How scary!!!! But cars can always be replaced….so glad everyone walked away fine!

8. Doreen says:

You have guardian angels. I am glad you are all okay. In the end, a car is material…family is everything. God Bless you all.

9. Susan C says:

Oh my gosh-I am so happy you are all okay!

10. Julie Cutshaw says:

wow, so glad you are all ok, the good Lord had angels watching over you clearly by the looks of that shredded car. If your car seats were less than a year old would they not be under warrenty still like most items and could be replaced? just a thought, thank goodness for strong seat belts and high quailty car seats. God Bless

11. Karin says:

How scary that must have been! So very lad you are all okay. We too have always used Britax – a marathon, bulkier than the other brands, but oh, so worth it. have a wonderful thanksgiving.

12. Vickie Riddle says:

So glad you and your family were not hurt! God bless you and have a safe and wonderful THANKSgiving.

13. Naomi says:

So glad to hear you are all okay. We’re big Britax fans, too- Marathon and Boulevard. Good to know they are as secure as I had thought. I’ll cross my fingers you find a good used Honda ASAP!

14. Tiffany says:

Thank you for sharing this. I’m looking for a convertible car seat, and this is a very strong endorsement.

15. Megan says:

I just wanted to let you know, that if the accident was not your fault, you can claim 2 new car seats on the other person’s insurance. They are required to replace them due to the accident as they are no longer good. Please check into that. If it was not the other person, check into your very own car insurance to see if they’ll cover.

They are necessities, so they’re covered. My neighbor just went through this exact same thing. Good luck! Glad everyone was ok.

16. I, too, have kept my 16 month old rear-facing, despite the urging from others to turn him around so ‘he’ll be happier.’ He’s quite content riding backwards, and I love that he’s FIVE TIMES safer than if he’s facing forward.

17. Sarah in Illinois says:

I purchased the new Frontier, two months ago and I HATE it!! This was my son’s third Britax seat, he had the Marathon (which I love) and the Monarch Booster. I do not like ANYTHING about this Frontier. It is so cheaply made, and will not tighten in my LATCH equipped car. I have to use the seatbelt AND teathers together, and it still is not as tight as it should be. My question was answered why the thing was on sale when it just came out, it is CRAP!

Aidans Mommy05

18. Candace says:

Sarah–I’m sorry to hear about your experience. Have you contacted Britax about the seat? They do want to hear your feedback.

As I mentioned, my daughter was in the Frontier. My husband and I experienced no trouble installing it and we have found it to be a great seat. We plan to get another one now that the first one was in this crash. As I mentioned, both children emerged from the crash without a scratch, so we’re very happy with the seats.

19. kait says:

Im glad everyone is okay!!! Good job on keeping your son rear facing past the 1yr/20lbs minimum!!!

20. […] seeing firsthand how Britax car seats perform when really needed, I am incredibly thankful that we choose Britax and their “True Side Impact […]

21. Tiana Acton says:

Alright, that is a nice beginning however i’ll have to look into that a touch more. Will show you exactly what else there is.

22. Laureen Iacovelli says:

on my site – totally free for all my customers

23. Adam says: