Mamanista! » Baby Carriers, Car Seat, Featured, Strollers, Sunscreen, Travel » Best Products for Traveling with Baby

Best Products for Traveling with Baby

We’ve taken our kids to Lisbon (thanks, Voyage.Tv!), on a road trip to Mystic, on a cruise (thanks, Disney!), to Savannah, and in and out of Manhattan more times than I can count.

Back in the B.C. (Before Children) Era, my husband and I loved traveling all over the globe. While we have scaled back out travels a bit, we still enjoy traveling with our kids.

You can travel with a baby, toddler, or other young child (or even several of them) and have a great time, with a little preparation and a lot of patience. The challenge is in traveling light without forgetting any essentials. Over the last five years, we’ve paired down our list so that we can get enjoy our trips without breaking Dad’s back. Here are my top picks for traveling safely and in style with your baby.

Don’t forget to bring the “three S’s”: sunhats , sunglasses, and sunblock. MD Moms makes the ultra-convenient baby silk babysafe sunscreen towelettes, which contain only physical sunblocks and no phthalates, lanolin, mineral oil, petroleum or waxes! Baby can stay cute and healthy! And on road trips, keep the car cool while you are out sightseeing with a car sun shade.
We usually bring the infant car seat on the plane and have no problem finding a booster seat for an older child. Locating a Convertible Car Seat can be more challenging, especially if you need two. Call ahead and find out if you need to bring one with you. If you do, you’ll want a Go-Go Babyz Kidz Travelmate. I’ve tried some less expensive options and ended up with a toddler seat dangling off my luggage. Go Go Kidz Travelmate
We find that babywearing is the easiest, safest, hands-free way to take baby along on vacations–especially with a toddler who wants to change from being carried to walking. For traveling, I like a versatile baby wrap with a newborn or a Mei Tai, like the BabyHawk or ToddlerHawk. If buckles are more your thing, check out the Ergo (a Dad favorite) and add the Ergo backpack accessory for extra storage. BabyHawk
One way for young children to learn responsibility while getting excited for vacation is to allow them to pack  their own choice of toys and extras in a case they carry on their own. Keep it small and light and get a rolling case, because there is a good chance you will have to add the weight to your load at least briefly at some point in the trip. Check out Trunki, the suitcase your kids can pull or ride-on ($30), since they usually try to sit on the luggage, anyway . Trunki
You never know what sleeping arrangements will be available, so consider a baby tent like the Kidco Peapod Indoor/Outdoor Travel Bed ($40-85) or a super lightweight playard like the BABYBJÖRN Travel Crib Light ($215), which weighs only 11 lbs and assembles very quickly.
If you will have a car seat waiting at your destination but are concerned about providing a safe seat on the plane, consider CARES: the FAA-approved airplane harness for children over 1 year old and over 22 lbs. CARES Airplane Harness

For more tips, check out our full guide to Traveling with Babies and Toddlers!

Traveling with Babies and Children

Filed under: Baby Carriers, Car Seat, Featured, Strollers, Sunscreen, Travel

18 Responses to "Best Products for Traveling with Baby"

1. Eric S Brown says:

Online Article……

[...]The information mentioned in the article are some of the best available [...]……

2. Melissa McNeil says:

I am wondering if the dates on this website are wrong or is this an old website that never got updated. I am hopping the dates are wrong, this is a great site. You have some wonderful giveaways. Thank you for your time. Please let me know whats up.

3. Stella says:

Hi Candace and Debbie!

Love this blog and this article. Already using it to plan for our first plane trip for Xmas. However, our 9 mo old DS has already outgrown his infant bucket car seat! We’re going on American in economy and we bought him a seat of his own, and are now trying to figure out what car seat to get. Here would be our ideal:

1) Narrow enough to fit in an economy seat
    2) Comfy for DS to endure a 3.5 hr plane trip followed by a 3hr car drive in the thing
    3) Easy to install into both the airplane seat and in a rental car
    4) Relatively portable
    5) Ideally, able to be RF on the plane (but not required)
    6) Ideally, good to be used as the permanent car seat in car #2

Our Britax Marathon totally fails #1. Two options I’ve seen out there are:
    - Cosco Scenera: Yes on #1, 3, 4 (~10 lbs!), and possibly 5. But it sounds so uncushioned and uncomfortable that I doubt it can be #2 or 6!
    - Sunshine Kids Radian 65: Yes on #1, 2, possibly 5, and 6.. But looks like a bear to install on a plane (at least RF) and totally fails #4 (~23 lbs!!)

Do you have any thoughts? Is there something out there I’m missing?

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

4. Candace says:

Stella – just saw this! Sorry that it took so long to reply–hopefully Deb e-mailed you! I’ve actually taken a Britax Marathon on a plane (economy). Have you checked out some of Britax’s more compact offerings, like the Roundabout? Honestly, all seats meet minimum standards and the safe seat is the one that will be installed correctly in your car and used all the time. However, after seeing the Britax factory and learning about their seats, I feel most comfortable with Britax–they really go above and beyond with safety! As far as portability, you can use one of the stroller attachments to push it around.

5. Roof Repair Guide and Roofing Supplies for Home Owner Do It Yourselfers.

6. Kristin Gideon says:

Great tips. I especially love that you included some great baby carrier recommendations. I’m very passionate about babywearing and love when I see blogs recommend some really quality products!

7. I drop a comment whenever I appreciate a post on a site or if I have something to valuable to contribute to the discussion. Usually it is a result of the sincerness displayed in the article I browsed. And after this article Best Products for Traveling with Baby | Mamanista!. I was actually excited enough to leave a comment :) I do have 2 questions for you if you don’t mind. Is it only me or does it look like like a few of the remarks look as if they are coming from brain dead people? :-P And, if you are writing at additional online social sites, I would like to follow you. Could you list every one of all your communal sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

8. it leads says:

Great info and right to the point. I don’t know if this is truly the best place to ask but do you folks have any ideea where to employ some professional writers? Thanks :)

9. Pamula says:

I do agree with all of the ideas you’ve presented in your post. They are really convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are too short for newbies. Could you please extend them a bit from next time? Thanks for the post…. Eliana @

10. I don’t even understand how I ended up right here, however I believed this submit used to be great. I do not realize who you’re but definitely you are going to a famous blogger should you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

11. I’m just commenting to make you be aware of of the awesome experience my wife’s daughter obtained reading your web site. She mastered a wide variety of things, including how it is like to have a marvelous helping spirit to get other individuals clearly fully grasp chosen specialized matters. You truly did more than her desires. Thanks for giving the essential, dependable, edifying not to mention unique guidance on that topic to Kate.

12. Wow, that’s what I was seeking for, what a data! present here at this weblog, thanks admin of this web site.

13. Grenoble says:

Une publication tres interesable, merci a l’author. On va bien me servir au futur.

14. I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this increase.

15. Excellent weblog here! Additionally your site lots up fast! What host are you the usage of? Can I get your associate link in your host? I want my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

16. album dinle says:

17. Firma ELBIT KRAKÓW ma przyjemnosc przedstawic Panstwu oferte wspólpracy w zakresie wykonywania pokryc galwanicznych.

18. Im so jealous with you. You have so many time to go together with your family.