Mamanista! » Eco-Friendly, Featured » 6 Tips to Go Green for Halloween

6 Tips to Go Green for Halloween

Halloween does not have to mean lots of plastic trash and junk food!  You can go green for Halloween!

1. Upcycle household trash to make decorations.

Check out these cute egg carton spiders from Sara from Mom Endeavors, spooky recycled jar creature votives by Candace guest posting at Make and Takes, or adorable cardboard tube owls by Valerie at the Frugal Family Fun Blog…just poke through the recycling and you will have a festively haunted house in no time!

2. Go for reusable trick-or-treat bags.

One Step Ahead sent us these adorable plush pumpkin trick-or-treat bags, which are more kid-friendly and cuter than the pillow cases we used to carry as kids, more eco-friendly than disposable bags, and more durable than plastic buckets.

3. Those old Jack O’ Lanterns? They’re for the birds!

Ellen from Confessions of an Overworked Mom says, “When you’re done with your jack-o-lantern this Halloween, don’t toss it. Set it out near the edge of the woods so that chipmunks, squirrels and birds can use it for food this winter. They’ll appreciate your help.” You can see how we turned mini gourds into bird feeders.

4. Make your own costumes.

If you are feeling super-crafty, you can save both kinds of green by making your own costume. You can make Paper Bag Masks, Hats, and Headresses with this cool book: What Can You Do with a Paper Bag?

5. Swap or donate costumes.

Okay.  Maybe you glue your thumbs together just helping your kindergartner with homework.  Or perhaps your kid just has to be super-duper-mega-hero just like the show. If you are going with a store-bought costume, you can still be green!

National Costume Swap Day may be over but nothing is stopping you from hosting a swap with your friends, anyway!

Or, Diane from Turning the Clock Back suggests, “When you are done with your trick or treating and wondering what to do with those costumes, think about donating then to your local preschool.  They will get years of good use during ‘dress up playtime’!  When I taught preschool, that was always my student’s favorite time of the day!  Obviously this only works for non scary, young kids’ costumes…wouldn’t want to scare the kids with goblins and ghouls!”

6. Show support for the creepiest critters.

Lots of our favorite Halloween furry, fluffy, and feathered friends are endangered. Symbolically adopt an animal through the World Wildlife Fund and help ensure they’ll be around for future generations…plus get a cute plush toy!

Filed under: Eco-Friendly, Featured · Tags:

11 Responses to "6 Tips to Go Green for Halloween"

1. Lolo says:

I love to upcycle products to make crafts! There are so many fun things you can do with Halloween.

2. Thanks for sharing my tip! I appreciate learning more about being green this Halloween!

3. have a OOT…love i and all your ideas!!! i tweeted too

4. Sara @ Mom Endeavors says:

What a great list of ideas!! Thanks so much for including the egg carton spiders. :)

5. diane says:

thanks for the @mention and LOVE all the green halloween tips! Thanks so much for encouraging people to be more aware of the environment on this spooky halloween!

6. Jessica @FoundtheMarbles says:

At my nephew’s school the students must make their own costumes and each class has a different theme every year. Such a great idea!

7. I leave a comment each time I appreciate a article on a website or if I have something to valuable to contribute to the conversation. Usually it is triggered by the fire displayed in the post I read. And on this article 6 Tips to Go Green for Halloween | Mamanista!. I was excited enough to post a leave a responsea response :-) I actually do have some questions for you if it’s allright. Is it just me or does it give the impression like a few of these comments appear as if they are written by brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting on additional social sites, I would like to keep up with you. Would you list the complete urls of all your public sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

8. I’ve read some just right stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how a lot effort you place to create such a fantastic informative site.

9. Rachael says:

Normally I don’t read post on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do so! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, quite nice post. >> Hortensia @

10. I would also love to add that if you do not already have got an insurance policy or else you do not belong to any group insurance, you could well really benefit from seeking the help of a health insurance agent. Self-employed or people with medical conditions usually seek the help of an health insurance specialist. Thanks for your blog post.

11. Sam says: