If you are gearing-up for back-to-school soon, hopefully your child’s biggest worry is choosing the most stylish first day outfit.
Too many of our nation’s children, however, do not have the pencils, backpacks, notebooks, and other basic essentials that help them succeed academically. Embarrassed to be seen as unprepared or forgetful, some of these kids may simply not show up.
As a former classroom teacher, I know that there are a lot of dedicated, professional educators who dip into their own, relatively small, salaries to pay for supplies for their classrooms. While we are happy to do this for the students we consider “our children”, over time, lack of supplies puts additional strain on a profession already known for its high turnover.
As a paid ambassador for the Bag It Forward project, Elmer’s gave me $100 to shop at Walmart for school supplies for my daughter and for a family in need. My family decided to use all $100 (and combine it with the efforts of my local moms’ group) to create backpacks filled with supplies for ten children of enlisted soldiers in my husband’s national guard unit.
You can help, too, by giving out virtual bags of school supplies to your favorite blogging pals.
Because I knew awesome National Guard wife, Mommy CPA (aka Katy Jane), back when my husband was active duty, I want to give her a virtual bag of school supplies and challenge her to “bag it forward” with a post of her own.
At Mamanista we believe that giving is always in style!
Disclosure: As a paid ambassador for Elmer’s Bag It Forward, I am receiving compensation for representing this campaign and contributing to the BagItForward.org site. I also received a Walmart Gift Card to buy supplies for a family in need. All opinions expressed are always my own.
Elmer’s will donate up to $10,000 to Adopt-A-Classroom with your participation. Join now!
ELMER’S VIRTUAL BAG IT FORWARD RULES
- Copy and paste these rules into your blog post.
- Create a blog post giving a “virtual bag of school supplies” to other bloggers or write about your Back to School shopping trip at Walmart.
- Link back to the person who gave you a bag of school supplies.
- Let each person you are giving a virtual bag of school supplies know you have given them a bag.
- Leave your link in the Elmer’s Virtual Bag It Forward comment section. You can also find the official rules of this virtual #bagitforward program there.
- Elmer’s is donating $10 for each blog participating in the Virtual Bag It Forward Donation to Adopt-A-Classroom (up to total of $10,000 for blog posts written by August 12, 2010).
- Please note that only one blog post per blog url will count towards the donation.