Last Friday night, as a part of our project with Random House, The Random House Kids Read & Play Summer Learning Community, we were a part of a live chat of which the subject was “Books turned into Movies.” Of course the obvious ones were discussed first: Harry Potter, Twilight, The Cat in the Hat, Marley and Me, Pride & Prejudice, etc., but once we started getting deeper into the conversation, we were amazed at how many movies are based off of really phenomenal books.
I wanted to open up a few of the questions we discussed, as we think they’re worth talking about for both book and movie enthusiasts.
- What, to you, constitutes “doing a book justice?”
- What are some movies that you enjoyed more than the books?
- What books would you like to see be made into movies?
- Which movies based on books did you despise?
- In general, do you think that movies based on books turn out well?
- If you see a movie that is based on a book and you really enjoy it, will you go back and read the book?
- What do you think are some key factors which play into whether or not a book is successfully turned into a movie?