Music is part of our lives so profoundly that it’s no surprise some of the top apps downloaded are music apps – but did you know that the benefits of music are even more profound for children who are actively engaged in studying music on a regular schedule? Study after study show multiple benefits for kids who take music lessons, even long after their childhood is over. Here are some of our favorite benefits of music lessons for children.
- Higher IQ Scores After Music Lessons – A 2004 study compared children randomly assigned to drama, music, or no lessons and found children who regularly did music lessons scored higher on IQ test later in their schooling.
- Perseverance – Children who study music have to learn how to break down complicated challenges into achievable tasks and then conquer them over time. This means they practice persistence and grit on a routine basis. These skills carry over to other areas of life for the rest of their lives.
- Memory and Executive Skills – This study from Boston showed that both children and adults who study music showed improved mental skills. These improvements showed up not only in memory but also executive functions like information processing and decision-making.
- Speech Processing – One fascinating study by Northwestern University showed that processing skills were higher in adults who studied music four or more years as a child, even if they hadn’t continued studies as an adult.
- Confidence and Creativity – Music education helps teach a child confidence in themselves, their own ability to learn and grow, and in the social skills required to achieve a collaborative effort in group performances. Self-expression is also enhanced through learning to not only perform a music piece but to put their own unique perspective on the performance.
With so many benefits to music lessons for children, it’s no wonder that parents are looking for ways to assist their children in developing musical skills. Be sure to sign up with Hoffman Academy for their free resources to help you get started! If you’ve seen benefits of music lessons for your children share your story on the hashtag #HoffmanAcademy!