I told my 4-year-old today that Halloween is now over and the next holiday is Thanksgiving, to which she asked “Why is it called giving?”. Maybe she was hoping that it was a gift holiday, but really this is just the first year that she truly has the interest in understanding of what each holiday is all about. As I explained to her that Thanksgiving is for showing gratitude for the things in our lives that we are thankful for (and then eating pumpkin pie), I naturally thought about the activities we could do this month to focus on gratitude for everything we have. Last year we did a “grateful pumpkin,” using a permanent marker to write different things we are grateful for on a large pumpkin throughout the month of November, before eventually leaving it to the compost bin.
This year I wanted to do something a bit different, but still fall-themed, and decided on a thankful tree. Serendipitously, I found one at Target for $3 that is perfect for my preschooler! For additional children, you may need additional trees or extra leaves. Of course, I also went on the search for other gratitude activities for kids to use over the next few weeks leading up to Thanksgiving. Check out these ideas, and let us know if you’ll be trying any of them this year!
- Gratitude Photo Scavenger Hunt – This gratitude photo scavenger hunt is a fun way to recognize the small stuff and big blessings in life.
- Handprint Tree of Thanks Gratitude Craft for Kids – This DIY gratitude tree is a fun and festive reminder of all we have to be thankful for.
- Thankful Heart Thanksgiving Activity for Kids – This free Thanksgiving printable for kids along with the “Thankful Heart” project is sure to be an ongoing family tradition.
- Thankfulness Chain – We count down to Christmas and vacations so why not Thanksgiving?
- Thanksgiving Yoga Sequence – This is a perfect activity to bring calm to your hectic days.
- Thanksgiving Coloring Pages – Use this printable as a coloring page, as a discussion topic, or as a place mat on the Thanksgiving table.
- Thankful Turkey Printable Thanksgiving Gratitude Activity – Toddlers, preschoolers, kindergarteners, and kids of all ages can use this printable Thankful Turkey to express their gratitude this Thanksgiving.
- Be Thankful: Book Inspired Family Thanksgiving Activity with Free Printable Sign – A book inspired gratitude activity for kids and families – includes a free Thankful printable!
- How to Make a Thankful Tree with Real Fall Leaves – Creating and decorating a thankful tree with real fall leaves is a gratitude craft and Thanksgiving tradition that kids and adults both enjoy.
- Preschool Thankfulness Turkey Craft – Teach thankfulness with this easy preschool turkey craft. Children are asked to share 5 things they are thankful for, and they are added to the craft. Simple and fun!